We are excited to continue CSCD’s Webinar Series. Through a series of webinars, we give you bite-sized knowledge appetizers to keep your hunger for knowledge satisfied until we can host magnificent, first-class conferences in person, as we did before.
The webinar series continues with a live discussion exclusively through CSCD, where we have the honour of introducing the renowned Correspondent on EU/NATO and European matters, Ms. Lotte Mejlhede, in conversation with the distinguished former Danish Minister of Foreign Affairs and President of the United Nations General Assembly’s 70th session, Mr. Mogens Lykketoft.
A New Europe: The Legacy from Chancellor Merkel & the End of the Trump-Era – An emerging era of Coopetition?
With the new decade setting its foundation, a new international reality has made its entrance. Europe’s Mutter-Merkel, the European Union’s unofficial leader and Grand Lady, is stepping back after more than 15 years. At the same time, the US administration has constituted a new president and ‘the Era of Trump’ is over – for now. How will this affect Europe in the future, and will a new EU-US relationship affect Europe’s cooperation with China, Russia, and other countries?
What can we expect, and which political path will a new Europe pave out: Will Europe take the international lead of a coopetition-model, or will it rather be a ‘dove of peace’ in-between a divided West and a rising East?
The webinar focuses on the opportunities that an emerging new world order, still unknown, can create for regions as well as specific countries.
We will elaborate on the following topics:
- Departing from opposing differences between the competition led by the Trump administration and coopetition led by Germany and France, which path of policy and practice will most likely become dominant going forward?
- What are the possible impacts of a new dominant path on old fears and hopes in international relations?
- What new opportunities arises now that the era of leadership incompatibility (between Merkel and Trump) has ended?
- How will the new situation shape political decision-making on the top level? Are new power coalitions on the horizon?
- Will the positions of China, the US, the EU, and Russia, as the dominant players in the globalized world, be affected? And if so, how?
- Will the relationship with EU-neighbours, Russia, Turkey, and North Africa be affected and/or change substantially depending on the path chosen forward?
Introducing: Ms Lotte Mejlhede in Conversation with Mr Mogens Lykketoft
Ms. Lotte Mejlhede
Graduated from the Danish School of Media and Journalism in 1993. Has since accumulated extensive knowledge on political matters and the EU, worked at the Danish Newspapers Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten and Berlingske Tidende with political material, on the national Danish TV2 as News Host, Dags Dato-Host, Foreign Director at TV2, and prime mover on TV2’s two political news magazines: Tirsdagsanalysen med Mogensen & Kristiansen and 1240 K. Currently lives in Brussels as TV2’s EU/NATO and European Correspondent.
Mr. Mogens Lykketoft
Former Danish Minister of Taxation, Minister of Finance and Minister of Foreign Affairs, as well as former Chairman of the Danish Social Democrats’ Party. President of the UN General Assembly’s 70th session when the 17 World Goals were adopted and the Climate Agreement in Paris came into force. Holds lectures, writes articles, and appears on TV & Radio. Is the current Chairman of the Board of Energinet and particularly committed to how we can create a sustainable future.
Facilitated by CSCD
- Welcome by Dr. Shahamak Rezaei, CEO & Founder of CSCD.
- 45 min Discussion/Conversation with Ms. Lotte Mejlhede in conversation with Mr. Mogens Lykketoft. Conversation facilitated by Dr. Shahamak Rezaei and Mr. Emil M. Østergaard.
- 15 min Q&A with questions from the audience.
Participation is free of charge. By registering and signing up, you will prior to the webinar receive a link by email to log on from your own location. The discussion will be live-streamed, and you can ask questions directly during the Q&A.
We look forward to welcoming you and look forward to serving you with premium knowledge and exclusive insights to assist you in your efforts to enhance your knowledge.
For further information, please contact us at [email protected].